The magic drink full of antioxidants which on a day you are feeling a little under the weather can work wonders. I have a mug before bed every night because it actually helps me get into a deep sleep which for rest and recovery you need your R.E.M sleep. It also relaxes me and helps me wind down after a mad day busying around London and seeing clients.
Before going into the recipe and how to make it extra delicious I want to tell you briefly about the benefits so you can understand WHY turmeric is a superhero spice and mixed with milk you can reap the health benefits.
1) Respiratory: So for me, suffering from a respiratory condition, turmeric milk is an antimicrobial that attacks bacterial infections and viral infections. Therefore, it is useful for treating illnesses related to the respiratory system, since the spice heats up your body and provides quick relief from lung congestion and sinuses. This is also an effective remedy to cure asthma and bronchitis.
2) Anti-Inflammatory: Turmeric milk is anti-inflammatory, and can prevent and protect from arthritis and stomach ulcers. It is also known as ‘natural aspirin’ in Ayurvedic medicine and can cure headaches, swelling and pain.
3) Cold And Cough: Turmeric milk is considered the best remedy for cold and cough due to its antiviral and antibacterial properties. It gives instant relief to a sore throat, cough and cold.
4) Aches And Pains: Turmeric golden milk gives the best relief from aches and pains. This can also strengthen the spine and the joints in the body.
5) Antioxidant: Turmeric milk is an excellent source of antioxidants that fight free radicals. It can cure many ailments.
6) Liver Detox: Turmeric milk is a natural liver detoxifier and blood purifier that boosts the liver function. It supports the liver and cleanses the lymphatic system.
7) Digestion: It is a powerful antiseptic that promotes intestinal health and treats stomach ulcers and colitis. This helps in better digestion and prevents ulcers, diarrhea and indigestion.
8) Menstrual Cramps: One for us girls! Turmeric milk works wonders as it is an antispasmodic that eases menstrual cramps and pain. Pregnant women should take golden turmeric milk for easy delivery, post partum recovery, improved lactation, and faster contraction of ovaries.
9) Insomnia: Warm turmeric milk produces an amino acid, tryptophan, that induces a peaceful and blissful sleep.
These are just FEW reasons as to why you need to add turmeric into you diet. I add it to everything including Zoats!
Before you get down to business with this, the most important part is choosing your favourite mug so you can enjoy this all the more! What I tend to do is measure out the milk in the mug then transfer it into my nutribullet.
- Measured out Coconut or Almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder (although the more the merrier but until you know how you like it stick to measuring it)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Dash of Vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or to taste)
- Grind of black pepper (you won't taste this but its amazing for digestion)
Pop all the above into your blender, blitz it up and transfer into your mug or saucepan. Heat it up and enjoy!
This is a must try now winter is on the way! Let me know what you think.. you won't look back. Its like a cuddle in a cup!